About Me

My photo
Nancy Simpson's LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE, New and Selected Poems was published by Carolina Wren Press (N.C. Laureate Series, 2010.) She is the author of ACROSS WATER and NIGHT STUDENT, State Street Press, still available on WWW at Alibris and Books Again. Her poems have been published in Southern Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, The Georgia Review and other literary magazines. "Carolina Bluebirds" was published in THE POETS GUIDE TO THE BIRDS, Anhinga Press). "Grass" was reprinted in the 50th Anniversary Issue of Southern Poetry Review: DON'T LEAVE HUNGRY ( U.of Arkansas Press.) Seven poems were reprinted in the textbook, SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN POETRY,(McFarland.) Two poems were published in SOLO CAFE, Two more poems were published in SOLO NOVO."In the Nantahala Gorge" was published in Pisgah Review. "Studying Winter" was reprinted in Pirene's Fountain Anthology and "The Collection" in Collecting Life Anthology. Most recently, Southern Poetry Review Edited by James Smith, published "Our Great Depression," and The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VII: NORTH CAROLINA,Edited by William Wright, reprinted "Leaving in the Dead of Winter."

Friday, January 23, 2009

Cabin Fever, I Guess You Could Say



BEWARD OF HAIRPIN TURN

Some of you are thinking, she's obsessed with a specific poem and its line breaks. Others who know my situation would say, "She is obsessed, obsessed with her frozen road." Still others will defend me to the death, and they will say, "Give her a break. It's only a case of cabin fever."

Meanwhile, my car has been to the village and back and slid only on the switchback going down. I had to get a running start to climb back up the drive, but yes, my car is parked exactly where it is supposed to be now, and not stranded on the north ridge as it has been for days. The household is stocked with all we need, including copy paper, dog food, cat food, bird seed. After a week of lock up, the old mountain road is for most of the way navigable. All is well.

5 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Nancy, glad you've been able to get out. Cabin fever.........can be good for some people and bad for others. I expect you are one that does well with it.

We lived in the Pocono mountains and it actually snowed in May one time when we were there. Not so good for this southern gal. Sounds like you have it under control. Take care. I don't want to hear that you've slid off of that road.
Sam Hoffer

Lynn ... said...

Glad you made it home, but especially those silly birds will at long last have FOOD! Thank heavens!

Love you! Glad you're home!

Nancy Simpson said...

To you two dear people, Sam and Lynn, Thanks for caring. Life is one adventure after the other.

Glenda Council Beall said...

Nancy, I, too, am happy you can get out again. As much as I love those cozy days we have to stay inside, I get cabin fever after a day or two.

Nancy Simpson said...

Hi Glenda, I was iced in for seven days. Lynn is poking fun at the birds, but in truth when I ran out of seed, the birds nagged and nagged me to go get them some more. I must have a thousand birds staying for the winter. Their bellies are full now.

I enjoyed most of the week. I did a lot of reading.

The worst thing for me about being snowbound and then iced in is no mail. No Mail! When I finally got the stacks and stacks of it, it covered the floor of my car all the way to the windows.

So, Boss, I want to tell you that when my car fishtailed up the last hill to home over ice and slush it was because because my car was too heavy, overloaded with manuscripts. Yes! The manuscripts are coming in. Yea!