About Me

My photo
Nancy Simpson's LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE, New and Selected Poems was published by Carolina Wren Press (N.C. Laureate Series, 2010.) She is the author of ACROSS WATER and NIGHT STUDENT, State Street Press, still available on WWW at Alibris and Books Again. Her poems have been published in Southern Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, The Georgia Review and other literary magazines. "Carolina Bluebirds" was published in THE POETS GUIDE TO THE BIRDS, Anhinga Press). "Grass" was reprinted in the 50th Anniversary Issue of Southern Poetry Review: DON'T LEAVE HUNGRY ( U.of Arkansas Press.) Seven poems were reprinted in the textbook, SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN POETRY,(McFarland.) Two poems were published in SOLO CAFE, Two more poems were published in SOLO NOVO."In the Nantahala Gorge" was published in Pisgah Review. "Studying Winter" was reprinted in Pirene's Fountain Anthology and "The Collection" in Collecting Life Anthology. Most recently, Southern Poetry Review Edited by James Smith, published "Our Great Depression," and The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VII: NORTH CAROLINA,Edited by William Wright, reprinted "Leaving in the Dead of Winter."

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A new Blog Award - FRIENDSHIP AWARD





My writing friend, Sam Hoffer has awarded me a Blog Friendship Award. I appreciate it more than you may think.
Sam and I belong to the North Carolina Writers' Network Netwest. In the last days of Nov. 2008, Glenda Beall, Program Coordinator, planned a Saturday class on How to Start a Blog. Ten of us sat in a small library room and, with the help of Glenda and instructor Kay Lake, we each started our own blog. The only experience I had was posting to the N.C. Writers Network West Blog when Glenda asked me. But I came to class that day with my ideas in hand and before sundown, I had LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE up and running: www.nancysimpson.blogspot.com.

My blog attempts to be “a dwelling place for practicing poets.” It focuses on Southern and Appalachian poetry. Sam sat across from me in that workshop. Her focus was cooking, O but not every-day-cooking, let me tell you. Her blog http://mycarolinakitchen.blogspot.com will take you across the world in search of cuisine. Now, four months later, our blogs are thriving with followers and awards. Thank you Sam, for this blog FRIENDSHIP AWARD.

EIGHT BLOGGERS I CHOOSE for the Friendship Award are friends who have visited my home and I have visited theirs, or I’ve sat
with them month after month, year after year in Netwest poetry critique sessions. I probably met them through NC Writers Network West or in a class at John C. Campbell Folk School. What sets these apart is that they are practicing poets, and they are my blogger friends.

Glenda of http://profilesandpedigrees.blogspot.com
Carole of http://carolerichardthompson.blogspot.com
Jayne of http://commagoddess.blogspot.com
Lynn of http://kudzukottage.blogspot.com
Judy of http://judyidliketosay.blogspot.com
Pat of http://pat-workman.blogspot.com
Brenda of http://blueridgepoet.blogspot.com
Richard of http://richard-apieceofmymind.blogspot.com

Along with the Friendship Award comes this message: Include it with the naming of your eight.

"These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated." It also says: "Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to eight bloggers who must choose eight more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."

5 comments:

Lynn ... said...

Do you have any idea what you mean to me? You are not only an amazing mom, but you are one of the most incredible people in my life!!! I'm so blessed to be a part of your world! I love you dearly ...

Lynn

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Congratulations my friend. You deserve the Friendship Award and I'm so glad you've passed it along to some of our wonderful mutual writer friends.

Would you believe that the Friendship Award came to me all the way from Indonesia? Selby's Food Corner blog, who gave me the award, is in Indonesia and is quite interesting on the food and culture of her country.

You've been such a help to me in mastering blogging. Specifically do you remember telling me how to drag and drop gadgets? If it hadn't have been for you, my gadgets would be sitting right where blogger puts them. Instead, thanks to you, I can move them with free will. Thanks for that valuable tip and the many more you have shared along the way.

Congratulations again on Living Above the Frost Line being named in the top ten of Appalachian Culture Blogs.
Sam

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Nancy,
Congratulations upon receiving another wonderful award for your blog. Thank you for nominating me. I consider it a great honor to be nominated by you.

Judy Roney said...

Congratulations on receiving the Friendship award, Nancy. You certtainly deserve that one! I can't thank you enough for giving me my very own Friendship award. It means a lot to me.

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Hi Nancy, I have yet to post my Friendship Award--so busy, and my laptop has been acting up. I think it may be on its last lap! Congratulations. (not to the laptop, but to you!)
The Raleigh paper will be running an article on Tue. about the Student Poet Laureate Awards. I'll be posting the link then. And don't forget the WCU litfestival. So much going on right now.