About Me

My photo
Nancy Simpson's LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE, New and Selected Poems was published by Carolina Wren Press (N.C. Laureate Series, 2010.) She is the author of ACROSS WATER and NIGHT STUDENT, State Street Press, still available on WWW at Alibris and Books Again. Her poems have been published in Southern Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, The Georgia Review and other literary magazines. "Carolina Bluebirds" was published in THE POETS GUIDE TO THE BIRDS, Anhinga Press). "Grass" was reprinted in the 50th Anniversary Issue of Southern Poetry Review: DON'T LEAVE HUNGRY ( U.of Arkansas Press.) Seven poems were reprinted in the textbook, SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN POETRY,(McFarland.) Two poems were published in SOLO CAFE, Two more poems were published in SOLO NOVO."In the Nantahala Gorge" was published in Pisgah Review. "Studying Winter" was reprinted in Pirene's Fountain Anthology and "The Collection" in Collecting Life Anthology. Most recently, Southern Poetry Review Edited by James Smith, published "Our Great Depression," and The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VII: NORTH CAROLINA,Edited by William Wright, reprinted "Leaving in the Dead of Winter."

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

WELCOME TO THE FIRST DAY OF AUTUMN - Here Above the Frost Line







Fuchsia and impatiens still bloom.





Change is in the air - the redbud tree is turning its heart shaped leaves to yellow. Butterfly bushes keep blooming until the hard freeze.

8 comments:

off-line said...

That's one thing I like about the butterfly bushes. It always seems to me that the fall flowers are the most beautiful. A great send-off for summer memories.

Tipper said...

Still looking pretty and colorful on the mountain.

Unknown said...

I love the fall foliage of our region, what a beautiful gift from God. I love the audacity of lantana and roses that bloom till the first hard freeze puts them to rest.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Nancy,
You are so fortunate to live above the frost line and have so many beautiful flowers blooming after we in the valley have been striken by frost. Have a great week.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Yes, the butterfly bushes keep right on blooming, seeming ignoring the changing of the season. My kind of plant. Can you believe it's pansy time again?
Sam

Nancy Simpson said...

Sam, I hardly ever buy pansies, but I have done so, and you are right. It is that time. I love blue and yellow together. I do have one place they like to grow where I can see them each day and enjoy them. Thanks for reminding me.

Joan Ellen Gage Admin said...

Ditto; I love the blue and yellow too, or any lavender and yellow.

I love the cool air of fall. Can you send some to Florida?

Ben said...

great title for a blog, poems keep us warm.