About Me

My photo
Nancy Simpson's LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE, New and Selected Poems was published by Carolina Wren Press (N.C. Laureate Series, 2010.) She is the author of ACROSS WATER and NIGHT STUDENT, State Street Press, still available on WWW at Alibris and Books Again. Her poems have been published in Southern Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, The Georgia Review and other literary magazines. "Carolina Bluebirds" was published in THE POETS GUIDE TO THE BIRDS, Anhinga Press). "Grass" was reprinted in the 50th Anniversary Issue of Southern Poetry Review: DON'T LEAVE HUNGRY ( U.of Arkansas Press.) Seven poems were reprinted in the textbook, SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN POETRY,(McFarland.) Two poems were published in SOLO CAFE, Two more poems were published in SOLO NOVO."In the Nantahala Gorge" was published in Pisgah Review. "Studying Winter" was reprinted in Pirene's Fountain Anthology and "The Collection" in Collecting Life Anthology. Most recently, Southern Poetry Review Edited by James Smith, published "Our Great Depression," and The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VII: NORTH CAROLINA,Edited by William Wright, reprinted "Leaving in the Dead of Winter."

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Talking to Smoky

"Hello, Smoky. Have you heard about
Sasha being a cover girl?"

"Yes, I heard. I know everything that
goes on in this house."

"Well, what do you think about Sasha?"

"She is a beautiful dog, if she is a dog.
You act like you don't remember that I was the big one, bigger than Sasha. She was a little pest then. Now she is In-your-Face-Sasha. How did she get this big? That is the question."

4 comments:

Glenda Council Beall said...

Smokey sounds a bit jealous. Maybe she needs more mommy attention.
She is a pretty one.

Nancy Simpson said...

Hi Glenda. Smoky is my Cat Man. He is ten years old. He is my love. He may be jealous. He has that look on his face. There has been a lot of folks in the house, and I think you hit it right on the head. He has his own little kingdom, his own chair with the window sill and his food and water.

It is one of those gloomy days again. My computer got over used and mis used and unplugged to boot, so I have been trying to get back on line all morning.

The rain can't slow me down because I am filling black bags with old papers. One of my sons took the carpet out of my writing area because it was, he said, dangerous. To do that he had to move some filing cabinets and stacks of paper. Before important papers get lost forever, I am hustling, tring to at least get the stacks back. Writers have papers. What can I say? We have stacks. It's hard enough when the "paper people" come and move pages, but when real flesh and blood people come and move whole stacks, it scares me. I've nbeen looking for four hours for one of my reports that is due today.

Tipper said...

Oh Smokey-settle down and let Sasha have her day : )

Hope you are well Nancy.

Lynn ... said...

Haha!!! That's so Smoky!!! I can hear that sweetheart right now!!!

And as for Sasha ... she's a beauty alright!!!! Smoky has everything he needs .. his chair, his bowl, and full use of the bed. haha

I love you Mom!!!!