About Me

My photo
Nancy Simpson's LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE, New and Selected Poems was published by Carolina Wren Press (N.C. Laureate Series, 2010.) She is the author of ACROSS WATER and NIGHT STUDENT, State Street Press, still available on WWW at Alibris and Books Again. Her poems have been published in Southern Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, The Georgia Review and other literary magazines. "Carolina Bluebirds" was published in THE POETS GUIDE TO THE BIRDS, Anhinga Press). "Grass" was reprinted in the 50th Anniversary Issue of Southern Poetry Review: DON'T LEAVE HUNGRY ( U.of Arkansas Press.) Seven poems were reprinted in the textbook, SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN POETRY,(McFarland.) Two poems were published in SOLO CAFE, Two more poems were published in SOLO NOVO."In the Nantahala Gorge" was published in Pisgah Review. "Studying Winter" was reprinted in Pirene's Fountain Anthology and "The Collection" in Collecting Life Anthology. Most recently, Southern Poetry Review Edited by James Smith, published "Our Great Depression," and The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VII: NORTH CAROLINA,Edited by William Wright, reprinted "Leaving in the Dead of Winter."

Monday, November 12, 2012

Veteran's Day - AN ARROW TO THE HEART

Recently I read this short essay in the November 2012 issue of FOR WOMEN FIRST. It was written by Megan Price, 32, Baton Rouge.

An Arrow to the Heart

"A few months ago I was looking for treasures in a thrift store when I noticed an elderly man in a WWII hat trying to buy some tattered books. 'Cash only? I'm just visiting, so I'm not sure where a bank is,' he said, flustered. I smiled and handed the cashier a few dollars, 'It's on me. Thank you for your service.' The veteran smiled and said that at age 88, he remembered a time when all he had to carry was a few nickles. I teased that he didn't look older than 29, and he fished out his driver's license as proof. When I saw his name, my heart stopped. 'Are you Donald "Scout" Meadows from the Second Marine Division?' I asked. He nodded, surprised. I'd grown up hearing my grandfather tell stories of his war buddy, Scott. 'Your grandpa saved my life on  Saipan,' he said softly, after I told him he'd died recently. Quietly he dug into his wallet and held out a small stone arrowhead. 'He gave this to me for good luck, and I've carried it for nearly 70 years--I think you should have it.'  Three dollars has never bought anything so precious." --by Megan Price, 32, Baton Rouge.

No comments: