About Me

My photo
Nancy Simpson's LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE, New and Selected Poems was published by Carolina Wren Press (N.C. Laureate Series, 2010.) She is the author of ACROSS WATER and NIGHT STUDENT, State Street Press, still available on WWW at Alibris and Books Again. Her poems have been published in Southern Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, The Georgia Review and other literary magazines. "Carolina Bluebirds" was published in THE POETS GUIDE TO THE BIRDS, Anhinga Press). "Grass" was reprinted in the 50th Anniversary Issue of Southern Poetry Review: DON'T LEAVE HUNGRY ( U.of Arkansas Press.) Seven poems were reprinted in the textbook, SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN POETRY,(McFarland.) Two poems were published in SOLO CAFE, Two more poems were published in SOLO NOVO."In the Nantahala Gorge" was published in Pisgah Review. "Studying Winter" was reprinted in Pirene's Fountain Anthology and "The Collection" in Collecting Life Anthology. Most recently, Southern Poetry Review Edited by James Smith, published "Our Great Depression," and The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VII: NORTH CAROLINA,Edited by William Wright, reprinted "Leaving in the Dead of Winter."

Sunday, November 15, 2015

A MESSAGE FOR FICTION WRITERS

This is for my fiction writing friends and students of writing. It is a quote from Nancy Peacock that rang loud and clear as true in my mind while working on my novel in process. 


"A good storyteller can go beyond the limitations of self. That's the point. That's the magic. It always begins with that relationship between author and character. That's who I write for, the character.
Naturally, I hope other people read my stories, and like them, but I don't write for those people. I don't write for them, or a marketplace, or what's hot, or a professor, or an editor, or agent. I write for my characters.
Have I honored them? Did I tell their story? Were we in the journey together? Did I listen to their guidance?
If yes, then I've succeeded."  --Nancy Peacock

2 comments:

Glenda Beall said...

I like this quote by Nancy Peacock, Nancy. I am writing more fiction lately and I have always liked character driven stories. If I don't care about the characters, I can't get interested in the story. Good luck with your on-going novel.

Nancy Simpson said...

Thanks, Glenda. Best wishes in your new fiction. Yes, I'm giving most of my time to writing the novel now. I'm living and breathing in old Georgia 1893-1920. I love it but historically for me, when I write fiction, I cannot write poetry. I fear that, afraid I will kill poetry, but if it goes as in the past, I will one day write poems again.

Actually, I think this might be the best time to edit the over one hundred poems that I have already been written and about twenty have been published in magazines. Maybe I can get a narrative line going with the poems to make a new collection.

You know my situation, I cannot do much of anything now except for writing. "Gotta make hay while the sun shines."